Sunday, November 4, 2007

Bundle up! Home weatherization assistance available

CL&P, CNG and Yankee Gas are offering to send energy experts out to the homes of qualifying customers to ensure that they are operating efficiently. Free services include:
  • Find and professionally seal drafts, cracks and leaks in your windows and doors
  • Add insulation to your walls and attic, if needed
  • Determine if you qualify for energy-efficient appliance and heating system upgrades
  • Provide and install energy-efficient compact fluorescent bulbs and table lamps
  • Install water conservation equipment, such as faucet aerators and low-flow shower heads, if needed
  • Provide additional efficiency measures, as needed
Qualification for the program is based on income and the percentage of that income spent on energy (click here for specifics). The program is called WRAP (Weatherization Residential Assistance Partnership) and is paid for by the state-mandated "conservation charge" on your electricity bill.

Cold weather is creeping up quickly, so even if you do not qualify for the WRAP program, there may be other options available to you. Browse through the following programs and see if they apply to you.

CT Energy Efficiency Fund

Yankee Gas


Anonymous said...

I had this done to my home a few years ago by CL&P and it was fantastic. They used a big fan positioned at the front door to locate the drafts throughout the house. They did a very professional job (for free) and I could really feel the difference afterwards. The only thing they charged for (just a small fee for materials) was adding insulation to the attic. They did a lot of plugging of holes all over the house at no cost and there was no obligation or hassle of any kind.

David said...

I wish they would offer this service to all homeowners even if you had to pay for it.

Anonymous said...

Looks like Southern CT Gas was just sold to Spain, It is unlikely that the Spanish will listen to our needs let alone understand English. I hope they are more merciful than what we had.

Anonymous said...

i am a senior citizen and still working, my income is over the amount you have stated for a family of two but i need someone to check my home. i have put plastic wrap on my windows but took them down because of my grandchildren coming over and i felt it would not be safe.

CT Energy said...

Senior Citizen, If you do not qualify for a free or subsidized inspection, you do have the option of contracting a company that specializes in this type of service. Below are a few companies that provide this service in CT (disclaimer: I know nothing about these companies -- I just found them with a quick google search). My cousin in upstate NY paid for an inspection and felt it was well worth the expense. They identified a number of opportunities and ranked them all in terms of which would pay back the most. Good luck, and please share your experiences.

All images © 2007-2018 Bruce Crowder